Thursday, September 23, 2010

Tributes from the boys

A few of the Cobras who are currently abroad or unable to play sent in their words of encouragement ahead of tonights massive occasion. Let's go out there and not only represent ourselves and the team, but the okes that can't be here and who would have given their right arm to be able to play! This is our time...


Luc Du Plessis

Boys, manne, lads, chaps, buggers, distinguished Gentlemen of the Cobras

It’s unbelievably difficult to fathom the fact that I won’t be joining you in arms tonight on this momentous occasion.

As we speak I am overcome with an overwhelming emotion whilst engrossed in my own misfortunes (fuck flights are expensive) I wish things could be different, donning that no 8. Shirt, one last time, on a night like this.

But yet still in my despair there's an ominous cloud that washes over me, as I'm strangely comforted by the reverberations of immense Cobra's figures, it soothes my pain of missing out (FOMO) when I remember the quality of both the person and player alike – those men who form of part of the Cobras brotherhood and to-day for he who sheds his blood with you, shall be your brother.

I composed this little rhyme here for the boys: Enjoy!

Of what is to come is certainly going to be test
Of mans endeavour, his grit and his desire to be the best

For me it always starts there up front
Poenie and Badr bearing the brunt

Poefies and Jose –
team-players of the highest degree
Poefie the workhorse,
Jose - dangerous if you let him free!

To part of a backrow
Of such great men with heart
Fridge, Fetish and Rennie
They really set us apart

There’s stumpie or armie at halfback –
I know what you're thinking?
The one likes tall chicks,
the other one likes jinking

The men in centre,
I will never forget
For every opposition
they pose a double threat,

Lovely to watch –
they would always bust through
They're Oli, Jussie & Joush.
need-I remind you?

Out wide there’s JP & Coebie
They’re not short of toe
Junks works in Worcester baby
Probably the most hectic oke I know

Warren Butler
He is our the talisman,
He was there at the inception
when the Cobra began

He created such a vibe,
so special to us all,
So many a sing-song
That I can recall

He gave us a trip to Arniston,
Which stands clear in mind
Where Morrie and I won the golf
And some okes (Blakie) were fined

The legendary weather man
created a song for me
One which you will hopefully sing
When we drink out that trophy

Great characters, great memories
That I never will forget
This day will go down history
Boys play with no regret

All jokes now aside,
so bleak to miss the game
Lets dominate the Nadoes
and put them to fukin' shame

Draw inspiration from that great song and imagine that I’m the old man (much like Stefan Terblanche) speaking to you the Cobras on your journey to victory...”

“They stopped an old man along the way,
Hoping to find some long forgotten words or ancient melodies
He turned to them as if to say, Hurry boy, it's waiting there for you.”
(Toto – Africa)

Boys its waiting there, now go win it!
Amen

Bailo

having been lucky enough to play for many different teams and clubs around the world, no other team can even compete with the vibe and sense of brotherhood that the cobras offer. when you play for the cobras you know that everyone is going to look after each other on and off the field, something that not many teams offer. On top of that is what critics call the best fines meeting in world rugby, which puts together a potent mixture! They say that home is where the heart is, and i have no doubt that everyone who has had the privilege of playing in purple will keep and cherish this team for the rest of their lives.

wish i could be with you guys on this special occasion.
Alert, Awake, Alive, enthusiastic out.
oh so brave

Dil McEvoy

Throughout my year of traveling, undoubtedly the one thing I miss most about home is the Purple Cobras. There is just nothing else quite like it.

The first time I arrived on UCT B field at 6.30pm on a Wednesday evening with the wind howling down the Green Mile, I played a bit of touch with the okes to warm up, Stephen (Starven Steven) led the stretching, and I took to the field, full of nerves and hope. On that day I became part of something truly special. I became part of the Cobras. The team synonymous with flashy but fucking hard rugby. And after a night of merrymaking and chanting in the change room, the bond was sealed.

At the time I knew I was part of something great. But only now, being away from it, do I fully realize how extraordinary the vibe is. Now I don’t mean to get soppy and nostalgic, but these really are the days of your life. I’ve finished studying, I’m overseas and am now starting my career, I don’t know if I’ll ever get the opportunity to play for the Cobras again. But looking back on the memories I made and shared with The Cobras on the Green Mile, in change rooms, at the Bishops fields on a Sunday, at Wadda, Bang Bang and Forreys, those really were the best times of my varsity life. I would give anything to get them back, to be there on Thursday.

Lets get that fucking trophy engraved with C.O.B.R.A.S.

2010 – Year of The Cobras.

Oh So Brave boys!!

Nick Fent

where else would i have started? if it wasn't for the cobras i wouldn't have got to where i am today. This legendary outfit has created friendships and impressions that will last forever.. WE play great rugby and have awesome jols. You don't just "become" a cobra, its an honour and privilege to call myself a cobra! best of luck boys. know you'll do it.

OH SO BRAVE!

Let's bring it home...

No comments: