Thursday, September 16, 2010

Poefda Pretorius


Yes you are!!

Whilst cruising around the city bowl in the passenger seat of Mr Pretorius Snr’s average Aston Martin, sipping on a latte and gorging on a three cheese muffin from Vida, I managed to whip out the not pad and jot down a few answers from the questions I was firing at my fellow lock partner.

Explain, if you would, the story behind the great name ‘Poefies’?

I really wish the story was alot more spicy but unfortunately it's pretty blan; 1st day of boarding school some oke called me "poefter", I haven't looked back since.

When did you earn your first Cobras cap?

My 1st Cobras cap was back in 2006 under the captaincy of one Tom Brukman, hell what a team!

As a slightly older figure in the side, whats your view on the vibe this year in the camp?

I'm really loving the vibe this year, there's a good core group of players that are passionate and committed to the cause. By looking around in the change room before the game you can see that the okes won't settle for anything less than a win and a trophy at the end of the season.

How do you rate our chances in the up and coming final?

I honestly think we can do it. There are some awesome combinations in the side and the guys look like a formidable unit overall. I had the privilege of reffing a cobras game this year and being the closest "spectator" I could see how unstoppable the boys are when they get going. We just need to keep our heads about us and go through the motions the same way we've done all season.

Who’s you rugby idol, is it really Krynauw Otto?

Funnily enough my rugby idol is not the big KO but I prefer to look up to Tiaan Strauss, honestly, block speaking Afrikaans with an Aussie accent!

Beer or spirits? Have you tasted a Castle Light draught?

Tiger or Tin Roof? Tiger

Have u ever taken your Landie off road?

Every Sunday when I park next to Woodlands before touch.

As a man who loves and appreciates the great coastal destination that is Hermanus. Give us a few words about the majestic place incase there are a few out there who aren’t all that familiar with worlds greatest beach dorpie (a proven fact, look it up) Herms?

Hermanus is the best place in the world, fact. It's the perfect distance from Cape Town, world class golf course, awesome beaches and the fish and chips at Hermanus Fisheries is out of this world.

What’s your handicap? 7

What do you do for a little ‘me’ time?

I try to get out on the golf course as much as possible, but nothing beats a jog up to Rhodes Mem.

What makes up your breakfast on match day?

"Oats-so-easy" and a latte from Vida, sensational combo.

What’s it like being a working man and still studying?

It's tough, but I can't just be a student anymore, so I was really keen to do something else while I study. It takes a good balance that I'm still trying to find.

For the okes put there that don’t know, what is it exactly that you do (work wise)?

I'm help run a scuba diving magazine, basically it's a free, high gloss, A3 size magazine. You get it by subscribing online and it comes out 4 times a year. I do everything I can from selling advertising to writing articles, it's a really cool way to learn everything there is to publishing a magazine. We are in the process of launching a wine magazine using the same, successful, media model we use for the dive mag.

What would you do if you didn’t play rugby?

Refing the game is something that I've taken up this year so I would definitely try and give that a good run and see how far I can get.

Any messages you would like to pass on to the new up and coming youngsters in the Cobras ranks?

It's a great vibe to be apart of, there are so many friends to be met and, barring league rugby, there aren't many sports that you can feel part of a team as much as rugby. The Cobra's brand is a proud one and I would like to see the name being carried around UCT for as long as possible.

No comments: