Sunday, May 24, 2009

Weekend Round Up...

With no game last Wednesday and no subsequent post match report, I decided that after this jam packed weekend of sport I’d post a little weekend sports wrap of sorts.

Unable to watch the super 14 semi-final between the Bulle and the Saders, I had to resort to recording (the pleasures of PVR) it and watching it this morning. Trying my utmost to avoid every radio station, TV screen and newspaper from 3pm onwards yesterday, which I managed to pull off, surprisingly enough! I sat alone cheering and throwing my 2 cents at the television screen pretty much every time Bryce Lawrence opened his gob, this time with my egg, bacon and coffee in hand instead of the preverbal beer and snacks. Needless to say, I was ecstatic when Morne Steyn (Bok # 10 in my mind) dropped his fourth goal and the Bulls were assured a victory and a home final! Now I won’t josh, the Bulls aren’t usually my favoured team; in fact they aren’t really up there for me at all! Being a Capetonian I’m a Stormer through and through, and when our boys (in the shadow of a mountain) aren’t in the mix, I opt for the resilient running rugby of the men from the ‘other way’, Durban! But for the sake of SA rugby I’m most certainly behind the contradictory Christian wife bashers, DIE BLOU BULLE for the super 14 final, and so should you!

Final score yesterday, Bulls 36- Crusaders 23

Now for the readers out there that don’t follow European rugby, well, shame on you..tiss tiss and all that! Because Saturday too saw my beloved side Leicester Tigers unfortunately stumble in their attempt in completing the European double (Heineken and Guinness Premiership tile) this year, after just last week they came up trumps over London Irish by a solitary point to take the UK title! But they sadly could not repeat their fortunes this week! And who could forget the way the Tigers cruised into the final of the Heineken Cup, after beating the Cardiff Blues in a post extra time ‘penalty kick out’, the first in Heineken Cup history!

The final score yesterday Leinster 19- Leicester Tigers 16


'Jose' with the Heineken Cup Trophy at Welford Road, the home of The Leicester Tigers in 2007. (Thought i'd sneak this 1 in for gees, because, well, it is!)


And for those of you who have been following the DLF IPL on TV, or perhaps even on a HD or LCDTV, being broadcast to you by DSTV and not SABC, whilst at a G2G or in the media centre near LS2D at UCT on your way to getting a test for HIV or an STD, okay too much now…LOL…NO, seriously I’m done. Anyways, I have the great pleasure of saying that the Deccan Chargers have made the final and will be playing The Royal Challengers of Bangalore later today! Nothing better than watching a somewhat ‘sober’ OD smash a ball about the park, with the small matter of Adam Gilchrist at the other end!

My prediction (purely because I have been routing for them the whole tournament) is that it will go down to the wire, last over stuff, perhaps even the last ball, but The Chargers will grab the silverware!

Oh and Bishops went down to Wynberg yesterday 21-17, but we don’t need to talk about that, CAPISH?

No comments: