Thursday, August 05, 2010

Stefan Terblanche WOO! Cobras interview time...

A man of many talents!


After many failed ‘I’ll call you back’s’, Stefan Terblanche, the new coffee and calculator configuration man at Allan Gray, managed to slot me in at the tail end of his coffee and bagel run, and this is what the Boland, Griquas, Sharks, Springbok and lastly Cobras Stalwart had to say.

1.Some say that you are the old man, the stalwart if you like, of the Cobras setup. Do you think that is because of your resounding resemblance to the great Stefan Terblanche?

I think that there are a few of us in our fifth year of Cobras Rugby now and it really is true that you can't buy experience. I like to think i bring a bit of stabillity to the back like Stefan but truth be told I cannot really see much of a resemblance.

2. Do you even look up to the man? I mean we all do, but you must especially.

I used to think he was a pretty solid fullback with a great up and under but I think it's time for the old man to hang up his boots before people really start taking the piss out of him (and me).

3. As a Cobra co founder what do you think about the vibe in this year’s camp?

I must say there is nothing that gets me more revved up than a game of Rugby on the Green Mile. We have always had a good vibe in the past but I must say that I think this is one of the better vibes we have had. There is a belief amongst the boys that we will win this trophy and that belief and passion is what will take us to the top. From the so called "stalwarts" to the guys in their first year everyone has brought an incredible vibe and I just can't wait to lift that trophy in a couple of months time.

4. What do Wednesday nights on the Green Mile mean to you?

Wednesday nights are what gets me through a kak week at work. It is basically the beginning of the weekend for me.

5. A Sunday with the books in hand and a calculator just to double check, or a Cobras touch session?

I can't even think of something witty to say here...Touch of course.

6. Stellies jol or a Cape Town jol?

I enjoy the odd Stellies jol but I'm a Cape Town person myself and would pick a messy Tiger session over a Filthy Terrace night. Though, as i said, I do also enjoy the odd bit of a Stellies vibe.

7. Any scandal you can reveal to use that you have heard/ learnt during your time thus far at AG?

Not much hey though I do know how much Bishops and all your parents have in reserves.

8. How do you carbo load on a Tuesday before internal league Wednesdays?

Ideally a quiet beer with the boys at Forries is always a good way to get into the vibe otherwise a nice bowl of Spag Bol in front of the fire watching Boots n All with Naas.

9. I hear you’re a big fan of the Sharks. ‘Black and white, nothing else matters’, apparently . Your kinda vibe?

There is nothing that boils my blood more than a guy who lives in Cape Town and supports the Shark. I mean really if you have lived here for more than two years surely you have come to your senses by now...PROOOOOVINCE for life.

10. How do you take your coffee? Black with one sugar, with milk, or do you just crunch on the beans like a real financial advisor?

Don't drink coffee hey it upsets my sleeping patterns.

11. What’s your most cherished gadget?

I would have to say my Nokia cell phone. It's basically a torch with a cellphone attached. They say it's bigger than the Blackberry.

12. What do you do for a bit of ‘me time’?

I like to get out into the mountain - anything from mountain biking and running to Rock climbing.

13. Castle or Black Label, or perhaps a single malt now that you a working man?

I enjoy a whiskey on the rocks whilst playing a game of Poker but nothing beats a draught of Black Label at Forries.

14. Some say that Allan Gray was your grandfather, any truth behind the rumours?

Not that I know of...hopefully he leaves something in his will for me though.

15. Who’s your rugby idol?

My idol would have to be Chris Latham - I think we have the leg drive in common.

16. Any wise, AG inspired, words of wisdom for your fellow Cobras?

This is our fifth year of this unbelievable vibe, let's get out on that field on Wednesday night and show them the type of rugby we play. Let's run them off their feet and play the rugby we enjoy...If we do that we will not lose.

No comments: