Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Player interview's continue...

Ayoba!


The next man on the interview list (after a somewhat lengthy break) is our scrummy stalwart Graeme ‘Stumpie’ Steen. The last time is saw this fella he was waste deep in a bucket of Castles at the Crabs Creek jol after the Knysna marathon, which non of us took part in by the way, and he was mumbling something along the lines of, ‘Hey Bra, excuse me but I’m quite sloshed (not sure how cool that word is these days) hey, but I finished exam just yesterday so I reckon you can forgive me.’ He followed up this murmur by falling off his beer stool and onto the floor, wet smelly, beer soaked oyster Knysna Lagoon floor! Not that I judge the man (for drinking or falling), any excuse for a beer right? You’re forgiven pal.

Nevertheless, here are a few words he managed to squeeze out whist reconfiguring his calculator in the Sports Centre parking lot.

Jose: Explain the story behind the name ‘stumpie’ for those who cant figure it out for themselves...

Graeme: As with most of my nicknames, Stumpie is based around my apparent lack of height. My nickname at the time was Gimli (thanks to a Dillon Mcevoy Lord of the Rings reference) until Andre Jacobs decided my height was similar to a cigarette "Stompie". This was Anglicised by the rest of the team to the Stumpie that now follows me around in rugby circles.

What are you currently studying?

PGDA. Not to be confused with the PGA, he tells me.

What does the Cobras brand mean to you?

I think Xhanti Nessi said it best when he spoke of the Cobras as a brotherhood. As we all know, the Cobras are more than just a sports team and I can't imagine what varsity would have been like without it.

What’s your best memory from your four (now 5) years in the Cobras colours?

Winning the cup, there nothing quite like it.
On the lighter side, Phil Vogets birthday celebration indicated the beginning of the ridiculousness that is the Cobras changing room. I think there's a video somewhere on the website.

Tits or ass?

Tits but not in isolation. Nice!

Preferred position, hooker or scrumhalf?

Scrumhalf but I have to respect the men who do all the important work up front.


Beer or spirits?

Beer although I am partial to the occasional whiskey.

Who do you despise more, the Nadoes or the Maties?

Maties by a mile.

Is Stefan really your half brother?

I'll have to chat to my folks and get back to you. Fuck these oke’s never give a straight answer! GADAMMIT!

Is it true that you are a sharks man?

Black and white for life. Did you notice that we beat the Bulls?

Who’s your rugby idol?

George Gregan

There ware rumours that you had a stint as the man in the Ikey Tigers mascot suit, any truth behind this?

I'm afraid not, otherwise you'd have heard some Cobra's changing room classics rippling through the crowd.

With five years experience, how do you think the Cobras are looking this year?

I can safely say that on paper this is the best Cobras side ever. If we click and show the desire to win than we should be unstoppable.

Please tell us the story behind your infamous, ‘I score tall chicks’ drinking song...

Oxbraai 2006, I scored a ridiculously tall female, relative to myself, and in my inebriated state began singing that now famous refrain. Little did I know that i would be hearing it for the next 4 years.

What do you do to psych yourself up before a Wednesday evening on the Mile?

I only finish lectures at six so I tend to use a two hour accounting lecture to get myself into the right state of mind. Back in the day, Warren Butler and I used to exchange sms's to ensure our heads were focussed on the game in the evening,

Where do you see yourself in 10 years?

On my Yacht in the Caribbean, hiring Cobras who have come over to do a boat season on their gap year. Aim high.

Many thanks Graeme, what a gent!

No comments: